A course for newly-appointed organ scholars, and other aspiring young organists
In 2020, the RSCM’s Survival Kit! course for organ scholars is going online! With a mixture of at-console learning, and group discussions, the course covers a wide range of topics to support young organists in their first professional role.
This course is led by Rosemary Field, Head of Organ Studies and is ideal for those taking up an organ scholarship in the autumn, or young organists aged 18–25 of at least Grade 8 standard.
Those who register on the course can book an optional 60-minute, 1:1 lesson with Rosemary for an extra £15. This can be arranged at a convenient time in the days after the course and is an excellent opportunity to cover individual topics in greater depth.
The RSCM offers this online course, sponsored by Viscount Organs Wales: www.viscountorgans.wales
Topics covered include:
• Score-reading and accompaniment technique
• Safeguarding and best practice for young adults in charge of others
• Continuo accompaniment
• Liturgical contingency — what to do in a crisis
• Professionalism and working in a wider music team
• Copyright, security and responsibility
• Registration and accompaniments
• Access to an organ at set points in the timetable
– Wednesday 10:00–12:00, 15:15–16:15 and (ideally) 20:00–21:15
– Thursday 08:45–10:00, 13:30–15:30 and 16:30–17:00
• Access to a keyboard for the duration of the course
• A stable Wi-Fi connection (including when at the organ) and laptop/tablet
• A private and quiet space for discussions
The music list will be sent round in advance for students to source. The course will be video recorded.
Terms & Conditions: • All fees are payable in pounds sterling. • Fees are subject to change only in the event of circumstances beyond the control of the RSCM, including changes in taxation and exceptional surcharges imposed by suppliers. • Fees are non-refundable (except in the event of the course being cancelled by the RSCM), and cover administration costs. • In the case of cancellation by the RSCM, fees paid will be refunded in full. • The RSCM cannot take responsibility for other costs incurred when the place is cancelled whether by the applicant or by the RSCM. • The RSCM reserves the right at any stage to refuse an application without stating the reason. • If a tutor or lecturer is absent, the RSCM will provide a suitable replacement. • The RSCM reserves the right to alter other features of the course. • You must notify the RSCM of any special access requirements when you first book to attend if these will affect your ability to participate fully. The RSCM will endeavour to help where possible. • All adults on courses with under 18s will need to comply with the RSCM’s Safeguarding policy and procedures. • Any dependent adult student must be assisted by a carer.
Online Course Booking
- If you are placing a deposit to attend a course, please complete this form as fully as you can.
- If you are making a follow-up/balance payment, please provide at least your name, contact number and email address and the names of any (additional) attendees so we can identify the original booking.