RSCM Emerging Leaders
We are looking for aspiring choral directors to join our residential summer courses for young people.
Emerging Leaders have the opportunity to grow the skills they need to be a choral leader of the future as well as working with course staff to deliver an inspiring, high-quality and fun choral experience for the young singers who attend.
“Being an Emerging Leader helped me to be more critical of my conducting, and therefore more able to change and develop my technique. I genuinely believe I am a better conductor as a result of being an Emerging Leader – especially now, having had time to reflect on the week and put some of the things I learnt into more regular practice.” 2023 Emerging Leader
“The week was a good springboard for my development as a conductor and has inspired me to keep looking for opportunities to grow. I will use the things I have learnt in the choirs I conduct. The week also honed the skill of actively observing other conductors, which I will continue to do – noting both what works and what doesn’t!” 2023 Emerging Leader
- An experienced choral singer (aged 18+) based in the UK, who is interested in exploring choral direction?
- Keen to learn and develop your skills, willing to try new things, and open to taking advice and direction?
- Willing to work collaboratively and flexibly to deliver a high-quality, safe and enjoyable course?
- Mature, responsible and organised and aware of the opportunities and challenges involved in working with young people?
- In sympathy with the ethos and aims of the RSCM?
A typical day might include…
- Directing a rehearsal for the evening service
- A session on conducting technique with other Emerging Leaders
- Supervising a singing lesson
- Working with a small group of young people on theory or sight-reading
Applications for 2024 will open in January.
The Application Process
Download and read the role description, then complete the application form. The application form will ask you for the details of two referees, one of whom should be able to speak about any experience you have in choral direction.
As part of the application form, you will be asked to indicate your availability for the summer course dates.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an online interview with members of the RSCM Education Team.
If you are shortlisted, we will also ask you to send us a short video (10-12 minutes) which shows you directing a choir. This video should include:
- 7-8 minutes rehearsing a choral piece
- 3-4 minutes ‘performing’/running-through the piece you’ve just rehearsed
You can choose any sacred choral work (accompanied or unaccompanied) which is scored in at least two vocal parts. The choir can be of any shape or size (if it includes under 18s, please ensure you have the necessary parent/guardian permissions to record). We wouldn’t expect you to cover everything in your rehearsal; we’re just looking for a snapshot of the skills you’ve developed so far and how you approach a rehearsal.
Successful candidates will be offered a role provisionally, subject to completion of safeguarding checks. This role requires a satisfactory DBS check and completion of a Confidential Self-Declaration and safeguarding training.
The role includes full-board accommodation for the duration of the course, travel expenses (within the UK only) and an honorarium.